Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thrifty Instincts

Some months ago I picked up an old disheveled record cabinet from Murray's in Peterborough.  It was somewhat abused and seems to be amateurly hand made: a bit wobbly and covered in wax candle drippings...a hippy artifact of yesteryear?  It had far too much character to pass up.  Since then it has been my on and off again project.  I disassembled it to removed the sliding doors, sanded it down to the bare wood, double stained it, smoothed the finish, painted the feet black, double matte sealed it, reinstalled the doors, and tightened things up a bit to eliminate the wobble.  I never took a before picture when it was all the color of the inside portion, but here's what it looks like now in English Chestnut...
She still needs a few extra finishing nails and maybe some wood glue, but I am very pleased with the results for my total of ~$20.

No comments:

Post a Comment