Friday, November 25, 2011

None More Black

Record Store Day: a reasonable way to enjoy the Black Friday shopping experience.  This time around I stayed close to home and picked up my goodies "just down the road" at The Toadstool in Peterborough, NH.

Every Autumn I go through a phase when I have to listen to Type O Negative - a mood envelopes me.  There's something about it that takes me back to a particular era in my life, and the sound of TON is a heartwarming and cleansing retrospection that re-energizes my heart; it's a ritual.  There is no other band out there like TON, and there never will be.  Their dry dark humor and over-the-top melodrama masked a truly beautiful core expression - one that provided solace to those absorbed with feelings of negativity, self blame, and emptiness.  They dissolved depression and self-pity by recognizing and embracing the dark extremities of the human emotional scale in sometimes ridiculous and sometimes very intense ways.

Today I am very happy to have in my possession the Type O Negative vinyl box set.  Limited to just 1000 copies and containing all six Roadrunner-released albums on green vinyl, this was the only RSD title that got me really excited.  As soon as I had the box open I had to jump right to Haunted...and oh my, to finally hear this on vinyl is...a holy moment.

The pressing quality and vinyl mastering is quite good; the clarity of sound is beyond what I was expecting to hear - it's almost as though I am hearing these albums for the first time...the songs are the same, but there is a hint of difference in sonic character and a greater depth of clarity.  Each album comes in its own gatefold jacket with brand new liner notes; the original album art adorning the front and back - only now unobscured by the iconic Type O Negative corner logo and album title, giving these editions a classic and clean look...well...as classic and clean as a hairy asshole can look I suppose.  This really is a fantastic tribute to Mr. Peter T. Ratajczyk, one of the most unique and talented songwriters in rock history.  The only thing missing is Dead Again - though since it was not originally released by Roadrunner, I am not surprised; I guess I'll be adding that to my vinyl wish list.

I also left with the Songbook double vinyl by Chris Cornell.  This is a collection of stripped-down acoustic versions of several Cornell originals (spanning his entire career) and a few covers, all recorded live during his Songbook tour.  This may have been worth it alone for the incredible version of Fell On Black Days...

...and I picked up a copy of the only Small Sur album I did not have, We Live In Houses Made Of Wood.  I didn't even know this existed - I can't wait to listen to it.  It came in a lovely recycled cardboard sleeve by Tender Loving Empire - a Portland, OR label and store.  I usually avoid purchasing CDs, but I made an exception for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment