Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Scottish Hares And Hipster Glasses

A few mornings ago I heard this incredible number on Emerson College's WERS 88.9 FM.  I don't know where to begin explaining how much I love this song.
The song is called Good Arms Vs. Bad Arms, the band Frightened Rabbit.  I've simply fallen in love with this band.  They have this fantastic way of pulling on my heart strings - cathartically turning a knife in my chest, yet cradling me in a knowing and loving embrace.  There is something here that directly connects with the emotional body - there are signposts exquisitely scattered throughout their songs and music that are unmistakable.  They manage in a beautiful, simple way to transpose the human emotional experience into immensely expressive and relatable art.  Frightened Rabbit will be on tour this summer supporting Death Cab For Cutie...which also means that if you don't already have tickets, you probably won't be seeing them...bummer.  Here's another track for your listening pleasure...

Speaking of Death Cab...their new record, Codes and Keys, came out at the end of May.  Take a listen to Doors Unlocked And Open...
The whole record can be found here in one continuous track.  I recommend giving it a listen before this gets pulled.  While I do rather enjoy the record and think it's a solid piece of work, I have to admit that it's pretty much exactly what I expected, which leaves me just a little disappointed - I like it when a band can surprise me or catch me off guard with something out of their ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment